Cet utilisateur n'a encore ajouté aucune information à son profil.
Chair of the History and Theory of Urban Design
Institute for the History and Theory of Architecture (gta)
Department of Architecture
Marianna Charitonidou postdoctoral project at ETH Zurich aims to investigate the status of the photographs that architects take during their travels by car. It is based on the hypothesis that the view from the car has established a new epistemology of the urban landscape and the territory at large. Focusing on the views from the car produced by the architects under study will help us to better understand how this epistemological shift influenced architectural thinking and practice. The automobile, since its invention, has reshaped our conceptions of space, revolutionizing the way architects perceive the city and contributing significantly to the transformation of the relationship between architecture and the city. One must not forget the importance of the car itself: indeed, no other factor changed the city so drastically during the twentieth century as the pervasive presence of the automobile, which had a very important impact not only on the ways one accesses the city, but also on the city's own relation to its territory. The project will focus on the close examination of photographs taken by architects John Lautner (1911 ? 1994), Alison and Peter Smithson (1928 ? 1993 & 1923 ? 2003) and Aldo Rossi (1931 ? 1997), which will contribute to a broader understanding of the process of viewing and photographing scenes from the car, and of its elaboration of a ?snapshot aesthetics? to capture contemporary urban life in its ordinariness and banality. A point of convergence between these architects? approach is the attention they paid to the role played by automobile transport in the reorientation of how we perceive urban landscapes and territories. This project is based upon the conviction that a development of taxonomies of the photographs of these architects, according to scenography and subject matter, for instance, would permit to discern patterns in their approach to urban design, as well as in their conceptions of urban fabric. In parallel, it would help us comprehend how they categorized the elements of the landscapes that captured their attention.
1. Forthcoming Publication of my essay “The Immediacy of Urban Reality in Post-war Italy: Between Neorealism and Tendenza’s Instrumentalization of Ugliness,” in Architecture and Ugliness. Anti-Aesthetics in Postmodern Architecture (eds. Thomas Mical and Wouter van Acker. Bloomsbury Publishing plc) ISBN: 9781350068230
2. Forthcoming Publication of my article “Constantinos A. Doxiadis and Adriano Olivetti’s Post-war Reconstruction Agendas in Greece and in Italy: Centralising and Decentralising Political Appa-ratus” in Les Mélanges de l’École française de Rome
3. Forthcoming book The Relationship between Interpretation and Elaboration of Architectural Form: Investigating the Mutations of Architecture’s Scope (Routledge Press)
4. Forthcoming book The Myth of Drawing in the Architecture of the 20th century (University of Min-nesota Press)
5. Forthcoming Publication of my article “Architecture’s Addressees: Drawing as Investigating De-vice,” in villardjournal 2, Università Iuav di Venezia, Selected according to double peer review process.
6. Forthcoming Publication of my article “Horizons and Directions of the Pedagogical Strategies of Teaching History and Theory of Architecture,” in Architectural Education: Objects and Prospects (National Technical University of Athens Press)
7. Forthcoming Publication of my article “Gottfried Semper’s Perplexity Before the Crystal Palace: Stoffwechsel as Osmosis between Decorative Objects and Architecture” in Journal of Art Histori-ography
8. Forthcoming Publication of my article “Le récit autobiographique d’Aldo Rossi : introspection ou rétrospection ?” in L'Homme & la société. Selected according to double peer review process.
9. Publication of my article “Aldo Rossi’s Transatlantic Cross-fertilisation: American ‘Urban Facts’ and Reinvention of Design methods”, ALDO ROSSI. Perspectives from the World, ed. Marco Bi-raghi, Milan: Politecnico di Milano, 2018.
10. November 2018 “Some Thoughts on the Lecture Series of Andreas Giacumacatos ‘Traveling in 6 Cities: Six Lectures on Architecture’,” in Archetype https://www.archetype.gr/blog/arthro/kapies-skepsis-me-aformi-ton-kiklo-dialexeon-tou-andrea- giakoumakatou
11. September 2018 "Between Urban Renewal and Nuova Dimensione: The 68 Effects vis-à- vis the Real,” in Histories of Postwar Architecture, no. 2 (2018): 1- 25. https://doi.org/10.6092/issn.2611-0075/7734
12. December 2017 "Revisiting the debate around autonomy in architecture. A genealogy," in Crit-ic|all, Vol. 2. Book of Findings, ed. Silvia Colmenares. Madrid: DPA Prints. Architectural Design Department, ETSAM-UPM, 2017.
13. December 2017 “Archives of Architecture Museums: The Effects of Digitisation/ Archieven van architectuurmusea: de effecten van digitalisering”, Journal for Architecture OASE 99 (2017), The Architecture Museum Effect/ De effecten van architectuurmusea, p. 77–84. https://www.oasejournal.nl/en/Issues/99/ArchiveOfArchitectureMuseums
14. July 2017 “Artefactual Value and Virtual Archives: The Digital Curator vis-à-vis the Plurality of En-try Points”, Journal de l'Université d'été de la Bibliothèque Kandinsky, 4, July 2017 ISSN: 2427-4119
15. December 2016 ‘Reinventing the Historical Posture: Theoretical Debates on Comparison and Transfers’ (“Réinventer la posture historique : les débats théoriques à propos de la comparaison et des transferts”) in Espaces et Sociétés, 2016/4 (n° 167): 137-52.
ISBN: 9782749253541, ISSN: 0014-0481 http://www.cairn.info/revue-espaces-et-societes-2016-4-page-137.htm
16. November 2016 “From Semiology to Deconstruction: Metaphysics and Subject”, in Research in Architecture, ed. Giorgos Parmenidis, National Technical University of Athens.
17. September 2016 Publication of my article “From the Research of a Modernity that Could be Greek to a Multiplicity of the Present: ‘Greekness’ in Architecture or Architecture in Greece?” in Andreas Giacoumacatos, ed., Greek architecture in the 20th and 21st century (Gutenberg) ISBN 978-960-01-1794-3
18. June 2016 Publication of the article “The Debate between Contextualism and Autonomy in Archi-tecture: A Genealogy” in the proceedings of the "II International Conference on Architectural Design & Criticism critic|all" held at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura of the Univer-sidad Politécnica de Madrid. ISBN: 978-84-608-9062-1.
19. June 2016 “Towards a Narrative of Connected Geographies: Display of Architecture and Trans-national History” in the Proceedings of the fourth European Architectural History International Meeting, Dublin Castle, 2-4th June 2016. ISBN 978-1-5262-0376-2
20. December 2015 “Revisiting the Encounters of the Social Concern with the Utopian Aspirations: Is a Crisis of Utopia and Utopian Thinking Under Way?,” in Critic|all, Vol. 1. Book of Findings, edited by Silvia Colmenares. Madrid: DPA Prints. Architectural Design Department,
ETSAM-UPM, 2015. ISBN: 978-84-944265-2-0
21. November 2015 “L’AUA entre le Team 10 et le postmodernisme,” in AUA : Une architecture de l'engagement, 1960-1985 (eds. curated by Jean-Louis Cohen and Vanessa Grossman. Editions La Découverte et Cité de l’architecture & du patrimoine)
ISBN: 978-2-37368-006-5 http://www.editionsladecouverte.fr/catalogue/index-AUA-9782373680065.html
22. December 2014 "Historiography of Architecture in Greece in the 20th and 21st Century: Architec-ture and Arts between ‘Greekness’ and Globalization," in Art History journal 3. ISSN: 2241 – 7338
23. June 2014 "Is a crisis of utopia and utopian thinking under way?", proceedings of the I Interna-tional Conference on Architectural Design & Criticism critic|all (Madrid 12-14 June 2014) ISBN: 978-84-697-0424-0
24. May 2014 "Historiography of the Interwar Period as a Reflection of the Ideological Construc-tions", proceedings of the "1st Colloquium of History of Architecture in Greece" the research area "The historiography of architecture in Greece in the 20th and 21st century art and architecture between local and globalization" organised by the School of Fine Arts in Athens
25. May 2013 “Scripting Cultures, Parametric Urbanism and Adaptive Ecologies” in the Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Intelligent Environments Intelligent Cities // Intelligent Us-ers (16-19 July 2013, Athens, Greece). ISBN: 978-1-61499-285-1 (print) | 978-1- 61499-286-8 (online)
26. December 2010 Publication of the translation of Le Corbusier’s “Le poème de l?angle droit” (1953) in the book Vers L.C. Contre: 16 + 9 Positions for the Actuality of Le Corbusier (Futura, 2010) in collaboration with Prof. Lois Papadopoulos. ISBN: 978-960-9489-06-5